- 1 medium size tomato (chopped into chunk)
- 2 small size shallots (chopped into chunk)
- 8 pieces of red chili (chopped into chunk)
- 1/4 tsp of shrimp paste (grilled)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- a pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp of vegetable oil (sun flower oil/olive oil/canola oil)
- In a frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat for 30 seconds;
- Add the chopped tomato, chopped shallot and chopped chili into frying pan and cooked it for 3 minutes over medium low hit until it gets soft;
- Transfer the cooked vegetable into stone mortar;
- Add the shrimp paste, salt and sugar into it;
- With the stone pestle, pound all the ingredients until it breaks down; continue to grind and mash the ingredients well into paste;
- As all the ingredients turn into paste, the sambal is ready to be served with all kind of dishes.
PS: If you do not have mortar and pestle, you can make sambal with food processor.